The army still rested in place, and gave no sign of moving on. But we had to act if we were to get out in front of them.
The way I saw it, we only had three choices: one, skirt around to the north side of the valley, or two, go via the trail to the south, or three, stay here and wait for better options to present themselves.
I believed the last would have been the most appealing to the Captain, but he surprised us by opting for the second.
Elijah, then, set us off on the southern route.
Along the way he told us there had been a fourth option – we could have gone straight through the valley.